Helix based tests are recommended to use in every cycle of the ethylenoxide sterilizer.
Indicator reaches the end-color when reacting to 600mg/l of ethylene-oxide in 20 minutes.
Failures which are picked-up by the BCHT are:
- Sterilization temperature too low
- Sterilization holding time too short
- Sterilization gas concentration too low
- Insufficient vacuum in depth and in number of vacuum pulses
- Insufficient air removal from hollow devices
- Insufficient sterilant penetration in hollow devices
- Leakage of piping/valves/door seals
The BCHT consists out of the following items:
1 piece of Helix device (Teflon with 1,5 mtr long tube) for 500 cycles, 100 (or 500) pieces of Chemical indicator strips with adhesive on the back, 1 piece of Direction For Use (DFU) with color change images.